Bayon Temple, known as the throne, is located in the center of Angkor Thom, Siem Reap, Siem Reap, Cambodia. It is a Mahayana Buddhist monastery and one of the most important buildings in Angkor. It was built in the eleventh century by Suryavarman I (1010~1050) and was rebuilt by Jayavarman Vll(1181~1220) in the late 12th and early 13th centuries. In order to commemorate the victory of the conquered tribe. In 1992, the Angkor site was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temple is square in shape and consists of two floors and a main tower on the platform. The main temple door is east, and there is a square holy pool in front of the temple. There are a total of fifty-four towers on the two-story square and the cloister, and the central main tower is about 45 meters above the ground. Each stone tower is engraved on each side with a smiling Guanyin Bodhisattva head, with a total of 216 faces. Bodhisattva wears a crown, earrings and rings, and the face is ever-changing with light. The overall architectural project is magnificent, innovative and original.
The stupa (“stupa” is Sanskrit for heap) is an important form of Buddhist architecture, though it predates Buddhism. It is generally considered to be a sepulchral monument—a place of burial or a receptacle for religious objects. At its simplest, a stupa is a dirt burial mound faced with stone.
The Stupa is also known by synonymous names such as Chaithya, Dagaba, Thupa, Seya and Vehera. Stupas designed and constructed in Sri Lanka are the largest brick structures known to the pre-modern world.
Buddhist stupas were originally built to house the earthly remains of the historical Buddha and his associates and are almost invariably found at sites sacred to Buddhism. The concept of a relic was afterward extended to include sacred texts.
Mission San Juan Capistrano, historic landmark and museum, is the Birthplace of Orange County. It was founded more than two hundred years ago as the 7th of 21 missions statewide and features a chapel still standing where Saint Serra once celebrated Mass. Today, it is a monument to California’s multi-cultural history, embracing its Native American, Spanish, Mexican and European heritage. Originally built as a self sufficient community by Spanish Padres and Native Americans, the Mission was a center for agriculture, industry, education and religion. Famous for the Annual Return of the Swallows, Mission San Juan Capistrano is the “Jewel of the California Missions” and welcomes over 300,000 visitors each year.
Mission San Juan Capistrano has been home to many people over its 240 years of history. Its history consists of memories and stories of its past inhabitants and present visitors. It is a place of historical, cultural, and religious significance, as well as a place of inspiration and education.
Mission San Juan Capistrano was permanently founded by Junipero Serra on November 1, 1776, as the seventh of 21 missions to be established in California by the Spanish. It had originally been started at the end of the October 1775, but it had to be abandoned after only a week.
Minar-e-Pakistan is a national monument located in Lahore, Pakistan. The tower was built between 1960 and 1968 on the site where the All-India Muslim League passed the Lahore Resolution on 23 March 1940 – the first official call for a separate and independent homeland for the Muslims of British India, as espoused by the two-nation theory. The resolution eventually helped lead to the emergence of an independent Pakistani state in 1947. The tower construction was started in 1960 and it took 8 years to complete in 1968. The estimated budget to complete the great construction is near Rs.70 Lakh (7 million). Money to complete this project is collected from Pakistani people to charge 10 to 15 Rs. extra tax at theater/cinema. It is a combination of Islamic as well as national culture. The tower base is shaped like a flower. The monument is covered with parks and flowers. Its location is used for political and religious events. It is also known as the “Liberty Tower of Pakistan”.The tower reflects a blend of Mughal/Islamic and modern architecture.The tower was designed and supervised by, Nasreddin Murat-Khan a Russian-born Pakistani architect and civil engineer. The foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1960. Construction took eight years and was completed on 21 October 1968 at an estimated cost of Rs 7,058,000. The money was collected by imposing an additional tax on cinema and horse racing tickets at the demand of Akhter Husain, governor of West Pakistan. Today, the minaret provides a panoramic view to visitors who can climb up the stairs or access the top, by means of an elevator. The parks around the monument include marble fountains and an artificial lake.The base is about 8 meters above the ground. The tower rises about 62 meters on the base, the total height of the minar is about 70 meters above the ground. The unfolding petals of the flower-like base are 9 meters high. The diameter of the tower is about 9.75 meters. The rostrum is built of patterned tiles and faces Badshahi Mosque. The base comprises four platforms. To symbolize the humble beginning of the freedom struggle, the first platform is built with uncut stones from Taxila, the second platform is made of hammer-dressed stones, whereas the third platform is chiseled stones. Polished white marble at the fourth and final platform depicts the success of the Pakistan Movement.At the base, there are floral inscriptions on ten converging white marble Commemorative plaques. The inscriptions include the text of Lahore Resolution in Urdu, Bengali, and English, and the Delhi Resolution’s text, which was passed on 9 April 1946. On different plaques, Quranic verses and 99 names of Allah are inscribed in Arabic calligraphy, whereas National Anthem of Pakistan in Urdu and Bengali, excerpts from the speeches of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, in Urdu, Bengali, and English, along with few couplets of Allama Iqbal include the other important inscriptions.
The Cape Neddick Light is a lighthouse in Cape Neddick, York, Maine. In 1874 Congress appropriated $15,000 to build a light station at the “Nubble” and in 1879 construction began. Cape Neddick Light Station was dedicated by the U.S. Lighthouse Service and put into use in 1879. It is still in use today.
Plans had been in the works to build a lighthouse on the site since 1837. The tower is lined with brick and sheathed with cast iron. It stands 41 feet (12 m) tall but the light is 88 feet (27 m) above sea level because of the additional height of the steep rocky islet on which it sits. Unusually, the stanchions of the walkway railing around the lantern room are decorated with 4-inch (100 mm) brass replicas of the lighthouse itself.